I guess this is why I hate shopping – because I always feel the need to make it up!
$27.15 cashed out from ibotta
$22.88 ebay sales (so far! I have at least another $20 or so pending)
$300.03 so far and there’s still a day left in the month (thanks leapyear!) and I would say that’s a pretty good bounceback in a week! Granted, I lucked out when someone needed dog boarding for a week and their house cleaned!
I did really well for the first two weeks of February but then kind of went ape shit leading up to and over my vacation. I did a lot of spending….probably more spending in one day than I do in 6 months’ worth usually. I do this around this time every year – I use up my birthday and christmas gift cards and pretend to ball out.
Here is how I spent about $500 in 5 days.
- This year my only giftcard was a $100 Pier 1 Imports card – I ended up using it all and owing Pier1 exactly $1. 04. That one was okay.
- $57 on booze – I got a nice bottle of gin and some beer and some wine and this will last me a month or so – definitely cheaper than the bar!
- $41 at Michael’s for home goods – I have been very careful about finding great furniture pieces for free but have been missing out on homegoods – everything I got was on sale and plentiful
- $114 at Nordstrom Rack – bath salts, good bubble bath, 2 nice tops, and 2 moscow mule mugs to complete my collection of them
- $60 between 3 different thrift stores
- $188 on an extravagant and wonderful birthday dinner
- $13 seeing Star Wars
- $20 miscellaneous snacks/drinks
I had a REALLY FUN TIME shopping – I miss the days of living at home and working in a mall when I could just shop and see all the cool clothes and everything. I bought some new pieces to incorporate into my corporate wardrobe. I carefully picked some beautiful decor pieces for my new home, I took the time I desperately needed to care about my wants and needs and not worry about anyone else while also getting some time to enjoy some time doing girl stuff with a friend I rarely get to do girlstuff with. I feel a bit renewed and was excited to go into work today!
So how am I getting over my buyers’ remorse? Can it really be that if I really do love everything I brought home and don’t want to return any of it? Here are 5 Frugal Things to recover from my sadness at the loss of the money:
- I made a HUGE chicken pot pie and have been eating that since Sunday – I have 2 portions left that will get me through tomorrow. My dogwalker took one portion and left me some broccoli rabe so I have something to work with for meals through the end of the week.
- I listed a bunch of stuff on ebay and all of those will end on Saturday. Miraculously my last Amazon listing sold on Sunday so that went in the mail yesterday and a whopping $2.71 will be deposited. Enough to cover a trip to Dunkin Donuts and Chipotle (free burrito coupon – got a soda) from the weekend.
- Hanging out at home with my dog instead of out right now – and plan to do the same thing tomorrow and Friday – Thursday I have free tickets to a show and will use my bus pass to get to and from!
- I’m determined not to crack any of my new booze bottles until the weekend when I take one to my boyfriend’s – we usually just hang out at home with the dog and watch TV while he cooks something fabulous and I’m totally OK with that.
- I’m looking around my living room at the awesome mix of things I’ve carefully picked from stores and excitedly plucked off the curb – there’s a reason I really only shop once a year…because I am resourceful and don’t want for much most of the time. And even though it was a LOT of shopping – I do not need to carry a credit card balance. :)
I’ve spent a lot of money in the past 4 days – probably about as much as I blow on MAGFest every year. I bought a lot of things I needed (wanted) for the home, worth clothes, groceries, and booze. I also saw Star Wars finally!
Yesterday was full of a lot of awesome things and I dropped some cash for it. I don’t regret any of it because I went on adventures and caught up with people that I haven’t seen in awhile.
I went out to lunch with a friend that got me this job and then my boss ended up with an extra ticket to a Pig Iron fundraiser that ended up being a wonderful offbeat cabaret.
It was a stressful day and I was bummed so here’s my 5 Frugal Things about it:
- I still had iced coffee from last night and I somehow made that one jar last all day! I drank water all day instead of coffee or soda….totally not normal but let’s see if I can make it 2 days!
- I did actually walk to the Starbucks after a particularly stressful morning…stopped at the steps…and just walked around the block and went back to work. I didn’t need the boost or to waste my free beverage….so I didn’t and I went back home!
- It would appear that I forgot to take my crockpot out of the fridge and actually cook my baked potato soup for dinner and food for the rest of the week. I can’t do it tomorrow because I will be gone for over 12 hours and that will kill it! Luckily I was able to make myself an egg sandwich (with a glass of wine) and still have enough turkey chili at work for another meal so I am prepared.
- I’m very excited to have a pop tart and glass of milk for dessert. Cheap pop tarts are delicious pop tarts.
- I didn’t buy a lear jet….or anything for that matter.
I seem to always unravel mid-month so I plan to go really strong for these first 2 weeks and will not spend money (does not include bills/utilities) until Wednesday, February 17 when I am having dinner with friends and kicking off a vacation.
So here are 5 Frugal Things today:
- Today someone gave me two free tickets to see Funnyman at the Arden at the dn of the month – so pumped! I love live theatre but it is so expensive these days.
- My dogwalker and I exchange meals mid-week to fight leftover fatigue. Last week she threw a bag of chili in my freezer and I took it to work for lunch today…well it thawed to what seemed like 3 times the amount so I think it will tide me over for 2-3 more lunches! SCORE! I’ll be thanking her with baked potato soup that will be going in the crockpot tomorrow
- I wrapped up a $15 Swagbucks Amazon giftcard yesterday so I started from almost 0 today – would really like to at least hit my basic goals every day but it entirely depends on whats going on.
- I have a free Starbucks drink on my app and I’m going to see how long before I use it – I made a large jar today and have some leftover iced coffee for tomorrow!
- Currently my favorite bottle of wine cost $10. I don’t need that fancy shit.