I did really well for the first two weeks of February but then kind of went ape shit leading up to and over my vacation. I did a lot of spending….probably more spending in one day than I do in 6 months’ worth usually. I do this around this time every year – I use up my birthday and christmas gift cards and pretend to ball out.
Here is how I spent about $500 in 5 days.
- This year my only giftcard was a $100 Pier 1 Imports card – I ended up using it all and owing Pier1 exactly $1. 04. That one was okay.
- $57 on booze – I got a nice bottle of gin and some beer and some wine and this will last me a month or so – definitely cheaper than the bar!
- $41 at Michael’s for home goods – I have been very careful about finding great furniture pieces for free but have been missing out on homegoods – everything I got was on sale and plentiful
- $114 at Nordstrom Rack – bath salts, good bubble bath, 2 nice tops, and 2 moscow mule mugs to complete my collection of them
- $60 between 3 different thrift stores
- $188 on an extravagant and wonderful birthday dinner
- $13 seeing Star Wars
- $20 miscellaneous snacks/drinks
I had a REALLY FUN TIME shopping – I miss the days of living at home and working in a mall when I could just shop and see all the cool clothes and everything. I bought some new pieces to incorporate into my corporate wardrobe. I carefully picked some beautiful decor pieces for my new home, I took the time I desperately needed to care about my wants and needs and not worry about anyone else while also getting some time to enjoy some time doing girl stuff with a friend I rarely get to do girlstuff with. I feel a bit renewed and was excited to go into work today!
So how am I getting over my buyers’ remorse? Can it really be that if I really do love everything I brought home and don’t want to return any of it? Here are 5 Frugal Things to recover from my sadness at the loss of the money:
- I made a HUGE chicken pot pie and have been eating that since Sunday – I have 2 portions left that will get me through tomorrow. My dogwalker took one portion and left me some broccoli rabe so I have something to work with for meals through the end of the week.
- I listed a bunch of stuff on ebay and all of those will end on Saturday. Miraculously my last Amazon listing sold on Sunday so that went in the mail yesterday and a whopping $2.71 will be deposited. Enough to cover a trip to Dunkin Donuts and Chipotle (free burrito coupon – got a soda) from the weekend.
- Hanging out at home with my dog instead of out right now – and plan to do the same thing tomorrow and Friday – Thursday I have free tickets to a show and will use my bus pass to get to and from!
- I’m determined not to crack any of my new booze bottles until the weekend when I take one to my boyfriend’s – we usually just hang out at home with the dog and watch TV while he cooks something fabulous and I’m totally OK with that.
- I’m looking around my living room at the awesome mix of things I’ve carefully picked from stores and excitedly plucked off the curb – there’s a reason I really only shop once a year…because I am resourceful and don’t want for much most of the time. And even though it was a LOT of shopping – I do not need to carry a credit card balance. :)