1. I’m doing a BJ’s run in an hour – I will get there at 9am so I won’t be tempted by free samples. I have a curated list with corresponding coupons and have been realistic about what I do and don’t need.
2. Bundling errands! I’m hitting BJ’s and Walgreens in the same shopping center and then dropping off a whole carload of stuff to the thrift store. I will then park my car again and not get in it until I’m leaving for my dad’s on Friday. Happily using my newly-tuned up bike or public transportation has been working well.
3. My dog was an expensive little bastard this month and I’m thankful I have pet insurance for him! It’s $34.01 per month and this month I was reimbursed $160 of the $340 I put out for him in vet bills. I have been reimbursed roughly $550 in vet bills in the last year since I got Wally and it has saved my life considering I did not have a savings account dedicated to dog expenses (something I will probably do next time I get a dog…but I have several years to think about that!)
4. I was a hermit this weekend and spent most of yesterday indoors and hanging out with the dog. I did ALL OF THE LAUNDRY, cleaned the living room, and generally “unfucked my habitat” and will feel good going into this week with a clean home.
5. Yesterday I was complimented on an outfit I had put together…3 year old shoes, 3 year old shirts, free tank top, and free button down. Aside from a desperately needed and well-planned underwear re-up, I haven’t spent any money on clothes since February (when I started a new job in a corporate environment and legit didn’t have time between jobs to thrift up professional staples) and have no reason to int he foreseeable future. I’ve been ogling an ugly pair of Sperry Topsiders but know they aren’t needed so I’m holding off. Maybe if I earn enough Swagbucks giftcards……..but I doubt it.
Five Frugal Things a la Non-Consumer Advocate
A La Non-Consumer Advocate:
1. I biked to and from the gym and work today – it was actually not that bad in this incredibly hot weather! There’s just enough wind blowing in my face. Grateful for the bike I have even though it is not the bike I want.
2. Swagbucks is having a Team Challenge so I’m spending my night in working on that – earning giftcards and playing a game at the same time!
3. My roommate went food shopping and with what we have on hand I’m excited to cook some stuff! I made mexican chicken yesterday and will figure out another meal to get us through the week.
4. Planning a BJ’s trip with my roommate where we will get the staples we go through so quickly and split the costs – and we’ll be bundling car errands by taking a bunch of bags to the thrift store on the way!
5. I’m grateful to be sitting in a room with an A/C unit with my dog watching rabbit ears and earning giftcards instead of having to do anything real or expend stupid amounts of energy!
Soooooo I went a bit cray cray at the end of June and early July. My spend fast got fucked. I made poor (fun, delicious) decisions. Time to get my shit back on track because I have had a few expenses pop up and it’s time to uhhhhh stop going to my new favorite bar.
1. Gym Membership
I spent $500 on a year gym membership – i justify it because I NEED TO REMEMBER TO TAKE CARE OF MYSELF. I have a few friends that also committed a year and it helps that my roommate is a spin instructor there twice a week so I can count on accountability at least twice a week. I have gone twice a week since I joined so it has already paid for itself this month! I also save my roomie money by showering there twice a week ;)
2. My Dog “The Locksmith”
He has been to the vet twice and had to be treated for fleas all in the month of July. It’s racked up about $350 in bills and supplies. PRAYING THAT PET INSURANCE I PAY FOR COVERS SOMETHING.
I joined mint.com to look at ALL of my spending in a way that neither of my banks can seem to do. I also wrote down all of my dog expenses for the last year so I can see the best prices for my puppystaples.
I didn’t go out at all last week! I’ll be going to Quizzo on Thursday but that’s it.
1. I acknowledge that I have been a bit out of control with my spending for the last 2 weeks and need to cease and desist. I looked at how much I racked up and am shamed but will not continue to purchase things for comfort. I need to stop going to the amazing bar I found near my home and drinking so much beer!
2. To stop my stupid habit of eating out – I biked up to Acme and spent $48 on some pantry staples and MEATS ON SALE! Got a Purdue oven stuffed roaster for 79 cents per pound and it’s happily hanging out in the freezer until I get through the bacon and pork I also bought – pulled pork tomorrow!!!
3. Usually I write my “current debt” in my dayplanner but don’t break down my student loans – this week I actually put the breakdown of each loan so I can really see what I could be saving when I don’t eat out and ball out on mango wheat beers.
4. About to make a pot of coffee for ice coffee for tomorrow after spin class and my 3pm slump backup – cheaper than Starbucks!!
5. My friend just turned me on to ibotta so we’re going to be in a team to earn some rebates on our stuff!
1. Today I got to leave early to volunteer at Philabundance! I carpooled, helped people, and did not go out to eat after!
2. Was STARVING after and even looked at the menu for a place 3 blocks away I wanted to try….said NAY! And made an omelet instead.
3. Biked to the grocery store – only bought what I could carry and even spend a few minutes battling myself in the soda aisle – I came home sodaless.
4. Staying in the city this weekend – going to hang out at home and make crockpot chicken and go out for happy hour on Saturday (limited consumption limited consumption!)
5. I love my dog and want to spend as much time with him as possible – and that’s free :)
Okay…we’re halfway through the Spend Fast. Let’s look at some numbers.
May 1 – 31: $753.77*
Okay….so these are some numbers. Looking at May…here are some factors:
-I eat out way too much. WAY too much. Philadelphia is hard.
-I taxi’d way too much. WAY too much. I now live so far from work that is both cheaper AND faster to just take the train.
-I went on vacation – that number does not include my flights, but includes the balling out I shouldn’t have done. $203.31 of that number is that. This does not excuse the remaining $550.46. This is why we spend fast.
June 1 – 15: $242.66*
I did a terrible thing and took advantage of a Victoria’s Secret sale. It was $102 for 3 bras and 5 pairs of panties – got eBates and Swagbucks back and free shipping. These are things that are pretty necessary as most of mine are falling apart.
I was doing REALLY GOOD at not going out and then my boo came up and we went out – I spent about $70 in a night on dinner and a taxi. But then we bought groceries and stayed in the rest of the weekend. It’s a small step!
So what does this say?
I’m not very good at spend fasts. BUT I am doing better at not eating out – once in 15 days is pretty damn stellar for me….especially when I’m constantly turning down invitations to go out. IT HURTS SO BAD I MISS HANGING OUT BUT EVERYTHING IS EXPENSIVE.
What will I do now?
Be really mad at myself for spending so much on dumb shit. LOL JK that won’t help. I’m going to continue forth because that’s all we can do. I’m going to continue to not eat out or drink out for the next 15 days! Also, Swagbucks is having a Team Challenge – so all the more reason to stay home and knock out some swaggin’ (for free)
Also, come over if you wanna hang! Let’s do arts n crafts.
*Does not include groceries, medication, or dog expenses.
1. I was not good on Friday and Saturday – spent some money on food, beer, and a cab. I made up for it by only taking the train and walking after Friday’s happy hour endeavors – and half of the money I spent this weekend went towards groceries for last night, today, and possibly stretched into Monday! I’m not beating myself up because I know I will be good for the rest of the month!
2. I got to go to a free Flywheel class this morning – first one always free! It was Game of Thrones themed and I made a shirt out of one going into the rag pile. It will probably have to go into the ragpile still since I used sharpie on it and it bled everywhere when I washed it!
3. My roommate is having Cookout Sunday where friends come over with sides and she grills burgers. I’m going to make a lime beverage and cut up some leftover baguette to complete a cheese/sausage plate if there is enough people.
4. Spent some time today on Swagbucks and Recyclebank for their respective points and put in come Coke Rewards that I got off some recycling on the street and at the office (yes…I’m slowly becoming that person but Coke Rewards does Amazon gift cards now!)
5. I found a $10 AmEx giftcard in my room from Christmas! I find them to be a pain to redeem at stores so I decided to use it to up my Amazon credit balance. Between that and the Swagbucks I’ve earned this month – I have $35! Since I don’t need anything…it can just happily sit there.
Had a great weekend. Happy to hit reset and get back on the spin fast!!
Day 7 of SPEND FAST.
I was a complete hermit the entire weekend with the exception of dog walks and one extra-long walk with a friend. Other than that, I’ve been in the home. I’ve cleaned up and reorganized my bedroom and started on the basement and the extra/craft room. I’ve also cooked many delicious things (crock pot pulled pork, bacon…I guess that’s it so far but I’m making more salsa chicken later!)
I also finished earning a $25 giftcard through Swagbucks (thetealappeal for referrals) and a $5 giftcard through Recyclebank!
So far, so good on the spend fast weekend front.
SPENT LAST WEEK:
$17 Groceries – Trader Joe’s
$16 Sunscreen and yogurt pretzels – CVS
$25 Drycleaning I haven’t picked up in almost a month
$20 SEPTA public transportation tokens
$51 PPA fucking asshole shitstain parking ticket. Okay, it was definitely my fault that I soufilly parked myself on a crosswalk but didn’t think that of all things would get me a ticket considering some of the parking ridiculousness I see!
$129 – definitely not ideal for a spend fast BUT I DID NOT GO OUT! I was invited out EIGHT TIMES in week 1 to go out for dinner/drinks and every time I declined graciously. I won’t be getting another parking ticket again – I moved my car 1 foot and am now in a legit spot.
HOW ARE WE DEALING WITH THE WEEKEND?
DUH HANGING WITH WALLY! Also going for a walk with one of Wally’s favorite ladies. There’s a pork in the crock pot and I have no other reason to spend money.
1. I had to drive to and from Harrisburg today and it was rough – but I didn’t stop to get gas or food which are not needed.
2. Ate at home for all meals and all leftovers.
3. Working tonight instead of spending – will be getting a big payment for the last month of work!
4. Rocking clothes obtained by my rad roommate that cleared out her closet of things my size.
5. I have now turned down going out plans four times this week! SORRY CAN’T GO OUT BUT WANNA COME OVER?